Saturday, September 8, 2012

Whole Wheat Soda Bread

If someone were to ask me to name my favourite recipe, this would be it. I bake it more frequently than I bake anything else. My sister P. was the person who provided me with this recipe for a seriously delicious quick bread that does not require yeast.
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
  • ½ cup natural bran (this is available in the baking section of your grocery store and I suspect you can buy it in natural food stores as well)
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil
Mix dry ingredients. Pour in buttermilk and oil. Stir together but only until the dry ingredients have just been incorporated; do not over-mix. Shape into a roundish ball while still in the mixing bowl, and then turn dough out onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment. Bake in pre-heated 350º oven for 1 hour. Serve with lots of butter. Everyone enjoys this bread.

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

Note from sister P.
If you don't have buttermilk on hand, I use half plain yogurt and half water instead of buttermilk and it works well.
Before the bread goes in the oven, cut a large X through the top of the loaf with a sharp knife and then poke the tip of the knife into the bread in each of the four quarters, to make small holes. This helps with the rising.
Organic flour and sugar make a superior product. The bread is also very good toasted.